Skytap offers a number of resources for developers, including a powerful REST-based API, a Command Line Interface, VM metadata, and automation packs that integrate Skytap VMs into development environments. Documentation on these features is provided below:
All Skytap Cloud customers have access to the Skytap Cloud API, a REST-based API that can be used to automate complex operations on your Skytap Cloud resources. Actions you can automate include:
- Start up or shut down virtual machines
- Report on the status of virtual machines and resources
- Create, update, or delete users
- Assign resources and quotas to users
- Manage networking settings
For information on the basic structure of the API, as well as a detailed breakdown of the elements it models, see the Skytap API documentation.
Skytap Cloud also provides Python sample code for the API, which supplements the documentation. It is released for reference only, and should not be used directly in your operations without adequate testing. The sample code is available at the Skytap API Github repository.
- Command Line Interface details how you can perform operations using Skytap Cloud's Command Line Interface.
- VM and Configuration Metadata explains how to access the representation of your VM in Skytap for reference in automated workflows.
Continuous Integration Automation Packs and Plugins
- Skytap Cloud Plugin for Jenkins adds functionality into the Jenkins web UI to create and manipulate templates and configurations in Skytap Cloud. While the functionality is focused at enabling continuous integration activities, the functionality is not solely limited to use in CI applications.
- Skytap Automation Pack for IBM Rational Team Concert enables integration of your Skytap environment with IBM's Rational Team Concert lifecycle management features.
- Skytap Automation Pack for Visual Studio Team Foundation Server enables integration of your Skytap environments with TFS to run Continuous Integration and Automated Testing workflows using Build-Deploy-Test (BDT) concepts.